August Pet Holidays: Enjoy the dog (and cat) days of summer!
The dog days of summer aren’t just for dogs. In the United States at least, August is the only month with no official people-holidays — but August pet holidays and animal awareness days abound. In August we say “Happy Birthday!” to all the shelter dogs, care for our cats, remember elephants, and spend a night with … bats. Enjoy!
Aug. 7-13 – International Assistance Dog Week – Created to recognize all the devoted, hardworking assistance dogs helping individuals mitigate their disability-related limitations. The goals of IADW are to:
• Recognize and honor assistance dogs
• Raise awareness and educate the public about assistance dogs
• Honor puppy raisers and trainers
• Recognize heroic deeds performed by assistance dogs in our communities
Aug. 5 – Work Like a Dog Day – It’s a dog’s life … or are you working like a dog? Hey, don’t those mean the exact opposite things? Either way, get in touch with your inner canine today.
Aug. 8 – World Cat Day (International Fund for Animal Welfare)
Aug. 10 – Spoil Your Dog Day – PetFoodDirect: “Top 10 Ways to Celebrate ‘National Spoil Your Dog Day’”
Aug. 11 – National Assistance Dog Day
Aug. 12 – World Elephant Day
Aug. 14 – World Lizard Day
Aug. 15 – National Check the Chip Day (American Veterinary Medical Association) – Resources include a list of chip registries
- Look up a microchip ID in all major registries: Universal Microchip Lookup (American Animal Hospital Association)
Aug. 17 – National Black Cat Appreciation Day
- National Geographic: “Black Cat Appreciation Day: Do You Know Your Melanistic Cats?”
Aug. 19 – World Orangutan Day
Aug. 20 – World Mosquito Day
Aug. 22 – National Take Your Cat to the Vet Day (AVMA)
Aug. 26 – National Dog Day
Aug. 28 – Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day
Aug. 27-28 – International Bat Night
Aug. 30 – International Whale Shark Day